Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Vacation in Gatlinburg Tennessee


   We had a marvelous vacation in Gatlinburg Tennessee this week. Dad had a presentation to do for his company (he's a usability consultant) so we all went down with him and made a vacation of it. We rented a cabin high in the Smoky Mountains and just spent some down time together. 
    It was GREAT! I finished my book Mary Barton, played some pool and air hockey, and spent some time working on a story of mine. The sights and smells of the Smoky Mountains were quite an inspiration and may work themselves into a book of mine one day ... who knows?


    The first day we packed lunch and had it at a park before hiking to Grotto Falls. There was a creek running beside our picnic table and we just couldn't resist. This is lovely country!


The fairy princess sunning herself :)


    The hike to Grotto Falls was only two and a half.miles from the trail head and the terrain wasn't all that bad. It was a warm day, but there was a breeze and we were walking in the shade most of the way. It was gorgeous, but I had to pay so much attention to my feet that I'm sure I missed most of the beauty. Also, by nature, I'm a point-A-to-point-B kind of person. Sometimes in my eagerness to get started and get finished I forget to enjoy the in-between stuff.


    Grotto Falls was lovely. We were able to walk behind the falls and get spattered with cool water. We didn't spend very long at the falls because there were a lot of people around. I guess that's what you get when you opt for a shorter hike.  
    I have a special place in my heart for waterfalls. Waterfalls and thunderstorms always conjure up a soft love in me. I think these marvels of nature help me remember how much my Heavenly Father loves me.  


A thing of beauty hidden deep in the smoky mountains
I love my family and I love my Father in Heaven and all the beauty He has created.