Monday, August 12, 2013

Corn Bread All The Way


    I love cornbread! I love it with a bowl of warm beans, chili or stew. It is easy, yummy and goes well with so much (an by itself). I even make it for breakfast sometimes ... ya ... I love cornbread. But after you start making it yourself, you'll understand ...
    I thought that since I posted how to can chili a few weeks ago I ought to post how to make cornbread so you can enjoy the whole deal


    This recipe is very versatile. We've used honey, raw sugar, sucanat as a sweetener, and many times we eliminate the sweetener altogether because if we're putting honey and butter on it anyway, what's the purpose? 
   We've also used whole wheat flour and spelt flour and both work just as well. My Dad is (or tries his best to be) gluten free so we make it with spelt for him. Before he takes anything, he always asks, "Is this spelt" and I love saying "Yes!"   


    I play with the consistency on this recipe. Depending on the flour and sweetener I use, I eyeball the batter as I add the milk to make it how I like. It's always around two cups though. 


Pour it into a greased baking dish and pop it in the oven ...


Wait ... Wait ... Wait ... and then sigh as the oven opens and the warmth floods the kitchen.


   Spread on a little jersey butter and clover honey and enjoy!


Ingredients:
   2 cups whole wheat flour (or spelt)
   2 cups cornmeal
   1/2 cup raw sugar (or honey or sucanat)
   2 TB baking powder
   2 tsp salt
   2 eggs
   2 cups milk
   1/2 cup vegetable oil (or coconut oil)

Dierections:
   Mix dry and moist ingredients separately before combining and whisking together. Pour batter into a well greased 9x13 pan and spread evenly. Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until it is golden brown. Serve warm.

Variations:
   Cheese Cornbread: Add  1 cup of grated cheese into the batter before baking
   Springtime Cornbread: Add 1 cup of chopped green onions to the batter before baking.