Friday, December 6, 2013

One Week In a Treestand


    I looked out my window this morning and saw a funny looking orange blob high up in a tree across the field. It took a second for me to remember that it was the first day of the deer hunting season and that that orange blob was my brother. I knew he was building himself a tree stand, but I didn't know that it was that far up off the ground. I got vertigo just looking at him. 
    If you look closely, you can see some orange down at the base of the tree. That's Dad, since my brother isn't eighteen yet he has to hunt with an adult. Dad was good enough to get up at four and sit out there in the cold. I love my Dad! 


    Later that evening, my brother got dressed up in his hunting garb a second time, gathered his gun (a good friend let him borrow his) and went down to the woods where he had built himself a shelter. He picked the place for his shelter well. There were deer tracks and scrapes nearby as well as the creek where they drink.


A Deer Scrape
Where the buck's antler's scrape the bark off of trees as they feed on the grass below.


    Here is the shelter he made.
   If you look closely, you can see that his school books are in the paper sack. My brother is very responsible and really tries hard to get all of his responsibilities done. I don't know how many other hunters that try to learn math concepts as they hunt 


    My brothers are so good to let me take pictures of them and blog about their adventures. He didn't shoot any deer this year, but he's already planning his locations and strategies for next year. Good luck with this hunting season and all those to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment