Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Family Favorite: Pumpkin Cake


    Just two days ago, someone requested that I post this recipe. I had some pictures, but not as many pictures as I wanted so I was waiting to post it. However, it will be quite a while before I make pumpkin cake again so if I want to add more photos later then I will.
  

   This is a great recipe for those who love punkin pie, but don't want to spend all that time making or buying a crust. This cake as three layers, well four if you count the coconut oil. First you mix up the pumpkin cake batter (very similar to pumpkin pie filling) and pour it into your baking dish.


    The second layer is a flour-sugar-baking powder-salt layer that turns flaky in the oven. It's everyone's favorite layer. Sprinkle this on top of the pumpkin layer, but only after you have your nuts cut up and your oil melted because if it sits too long it will sink and harden ... not good.



    Then we cut up our nuts. The recipe calls for pecans, which are scrumptious, but expensive so we use almonds. We've cut them up in the blender before, but I don't mind using a knife.



    This is the third layer.  Sprinkle the chopped nuts onto the flour layer ... but in the picture there's a portion that doesn't have nuts! I know. My youngest sister doesn't like nuts on hers so I don't put nuts on a piece or two because I'm nice like that.


    The last layer is coconut oil dribbled over the entire thing, even the no-nut portion. The recipe calls for butter, but we use coconut oil. This layer helps everything on top to be really crispy and tasty.  After that you bake the cake and wait for a WHOLE HOUR while the whole house fills with the yummiest smells!


    This is where I wish I had more pictures ... you don't even get to see what it looks like inside. Oh well. When I get home from college I'll make this pumpkin cake and take more pictures to add here. 
    But, despite the lack of evidence, this has got to be in my top ten favorite desserts. It's my Dad's all time favorite and he can smell it all the way from his office.
    Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  Pumpkin Layer
     - 3 1/2 cup or 29oz cooked pumpkin
     - 4 eggs
     - 1 can or 12oz of milk
     - 1 1/2 tsp salt
     - 1 tsp cinnamon
     - 3/4 cup sugar

  Flour Layer
     - 2 1/2 cups flour
     - 1 cup sugar
     - 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
     - 1 tsp salt
  
  Other Layers
     -  1/4 cup melted butter/coconut oil
     - 1-1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts/almonds/pecans

Directions:
    Mix the pumpkin layer together until smooth before pouring into a 9x11 baking pan. In a separate bowl mix the flour layer together but do not spread on top of the pumpkin layer until the butter/coconut oil is melted, the nuts are chopped, and the oven is preheated.
    Spread flour mixture evenly over the pumpkin layer, sprinkle nuts over top of both layers, and pour the butter/coconut oil over all three layers. Bake at 350 for an hour.
    Serving straight out of the oven may result in burns so let it stand and cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy every bite!